News

Keep Sydney Open announce the line-up for this Saturday’s rally

Keep Sydney Open are holding their next anti-lockouts rally this Saturday, February 18, and they’re bringing along a few special guests for the occasion.

One half of Sydney’s Flight Facilities, Hugo Gruzman, is appearing, along with ARIA award winner Montaigne. Mark Callaghan and Graham ‘Buzz’ Bidstrup from iconic pop-rock band GANGgajang are also lined up, with more acts set to be announced.

The rally kicks off at midday in Martin Place. It follows the cancellation of their planned event last month, which was shut down abruptly when the group was issued with a prohibition order from the NSW Supreme Court.

“The decision of the court was pretty strange,” KSO’s Tyson Koh said in a video just after the decision was handed down. “Essentially what was being said by the judge was that the finding against us wouldn’t prohibit the rally from going ahead – it just wouldn’t be classified as a public assembly.”

“The decision has huge implications for the future of political assembly in NSW,” KSO wrote a few days later. “It has never been incumbent on protest groups to provide public toilets, evacuation plans, risk management assessments, traffic management plans or police officers. These have always been the responsibility of police when public assembly protocols are triggered. Yesterday’s decision now puts that in doubt.”

The rally is not only opposing the the NSW Government’s planned 30-minute extension to the lockout laws – an amendment that Keep Sydney Open say is “not enough” to save the city’s nightlife – but also will fight “for our very right as citizens of NSW to gather on the streets and express ourselves politically.”

Keep across all the event details here.

Keep Sydney Open rally

Hugo Gruzman
Montaigne
Mark Callaghan and Graham ‘Buzz’ Bidstrup

12pm Saturday February 18 – Martin Place, Sydney NSW