Failed NYE Festival promoters begin refunding tickets, clash with Wet’n’Wild
One Cube Entertainment, the company behind the failed NYE festival at Wet’n’Wild, has announced that the refund process for tickets has started.
“One Cube Entertainment will be refunding ALL ticket holders of NYE at Wet’n’Wild,” the company announced on Facebook this morning. “Tickets purchased through Moshtix and Myguestlist will be refunded AUTOMATICALLY. These service providers have commented that whilst the process has started immediately, ticket holders should allow a maximum of 10 working days for the refund to reflect in their account.
“Hard/physical tickets purchased will have the refund process commence early next week. Please go back to your point of purchase next week. For enquiries regarding this matter, One Cube Entertainment has setup the hotlines below: [email protected] or 0430 666 999.”
The NYE Festival was cancelled six hours before the doors were due to open on New Year’s Eve, with the promoters announcing at the time that tickets would be valid for use that night at Parramatta’s Roxy Hotel, or for a rescheduled event on Australia Day. After pressure from the NSW Fair Trading Department, however, One Cube Entertainment announced that ticket refunds would be offered. Village Roadshow Theme Parks, the company behind Wet’n’Wild, also announced that it has returned the money paid by the promoters in order to refund the 8700 ticket holders. However, One Cube Entertainment could still be liable for ticket holders associated costs, such as flights and accommodation.
Wet’n’Wild’s management has moved quickly to distance itself from the promoters behind the failed festival. Speaking with the Sydney Morning Herald, Wet’n’Wild’s Managing Director Chris Warhurst said, “We do not have anything to do with the event, it was a promoted event and we’ve been caught up in that… We did undertake our due diligence, it’s just at the last minute the promoters were unable to satisfy the transport logistics… There’s no one more disappointed than us.
“We weren’t satisfied that the promoters were able to provide the transport logistics required for this event, and we gave them the option of providing more logistics; they chose to move the event to a different location… We require that there be enough transport to move guests at any particular time, and they were unable to provide that number of buses.”
However, promoter Diego Tobar of One Cube Entertainment, the company behind the failed festival, told the SMH that “the production was fine, transport was sorted,” claiming that Wet’n’Wild “made us pay a large sum last week Friday of 250k upfront room hire or event will not go ahead, as well as sign a contract 4days prior event [sic].”
A representative at the NYE Festival hotline told inthemix that, “We can’t comment on the situation at the moment. We’re working on a resolution and we’ll be able to speak further soon.”
(Photo by CX Media.)